Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Haven't posted in a while - mostly because I haven't made anything new! Its easy just to do the same thing again and again since its easy to make and cheap... for example I just made the baked ziti again that I have posted about before.
I am posting today mostly about something I just realized - low fat Cottage cheese is a great, healthy addition to a ton of meals! I have always loved cottage cheese - my Mom always would serve it as a side with dinner (the 4% kind - not as good for you, but tastes amazing..), and so I kind of grew up with it.
I usually eat fat-free or, more recently 1% (which tastes so much better and has less sodium than fat free), as a side to my lunches. Since there is a lot of protein there it helps fill you up, and goes well with most foods. Plus the low fat kind is extreamly good for you. I never really mixed it with my food until the other day...
I had a bowl of my homemade chili (posted about before) and my usual side of cottage cheese. I took a experimental bit of the chili with the cottage cheese - and it was amazing!!! It was so good i then took my entire cup of cottage cheese and dumped it into my chili. It was almost like adding the usual addition of Sour cream, but better in a way. Plus it is much much better for you than sour cream!
Today I had my baked ziti and a side of cottage cheese. I thought the chili was good the other day, why not do the same thing? So I dumped the entire cup of cold cottage cheese onto my reheated baked ziti. Wow. It was almost like adding extra ricotta cheese! It tasted so much like the Ricotta that it really just blended in, and instead of dry, reheated baked ziti I had a creamy baked ziti that did not taste like leftovers!
I don't know off the top of my head what else I would try this with - but things like above are worth trying out. I'm not going to think of cottage cheese as just a side dish again!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home