Thursday, January 11, 2007

Wow - beena while since I posted something here. I've been out looking for new apartments around the NYC area - something I would not want to go through again... want to try to find a place without a broker? Good luck - I had no luck with Craigslist or any other non-broker service! We actually went to see a 'one bedroom with private garden' place that was $1495/month - great deal we thought . So did about 20 other people. When we walked into the place, if it was more than 100 sq feet I would be surprised! It was so small the room would have enough for a twin bed, if that! I don't even think that would fit in the 'living room'. It was hilarious! Oh well - we ended up spending more than we wanted to each month, but at least we have a great place... price you pay for living in the city I guess.

I haven't really made much that was new for a while - between New Years and things going on I've just been making basic things like chicken sausage and rice, or other meals that aren't really 'receipes'.

I did make Chicken Paprikash the other night, and it turned out pretty well despite my ghetto version of this receipe - my Mom used to make this when I was a kid (I'm hugarian and this is a Hungarian dish). I'm sure there are more 'official' receipes for this out there, but I thought that this was quick and easy and fit the bill close enough - plus it was cheap and pretty tasty... and cost maybe $10 to make at least 8 meals+!

Chicken Paprikash:

What you need:

1 Large Pot to put everything in
1 pot for cooking pasta

48 oz chicken broth
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
16 oz of sour cream (I used reduced fat)
2 jars of sliced mushrooms (optional)
4 Tbl Paprika
2 tsp cumin and 2 tsp curry powder (this is optional, i just threw it in because I like those two spices with paprika)
Salt and pepper to taste.
1 pkg egg noodles (I tend to buy the 'No Yolk' brand - less fat and cholesterol)
4 bay leaves
1/4 cup+ of flour to thicken mixture, mixed in a seperate small bowl with some water until all lumps are gone.

What you do:

1) Bring to a boil chicken broth, adding bayleaves
2) Bring to boil pasta water - cook pasta until al dente, 6 mins or so
3) Cut up chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces
4) Once broth is boiling, add chicken and spices, turn down heat to simmer
5) Cook until chicken is fully done - about 8-10 mins, remove bay leaves
6) Add sour cream, and flour mixture - stir in
7) Add mushrooms, cooked noodles - let simmer for a few more mins until heated through


Thats it! Easy, pretty tasty, cheap, and it makes at least 8 servings - not bad!

Well I hope once we move I don't have to just eat Rama noodles for every meal (only 25 cents though!!!) - on a positive note this blog will list even cheaper meals, hopefully giving some inspiration to other poor want-to be chefs out there!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home