Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Last night made a pretty cool chicken pot pie. I make this once in a while and I got the idea from the Man a Can and a Plan book I listed in the previous posts.

This time I tried this w/ Cream of Corn soup instead of the Cream of Mushroom I usually use - it was still really good! You can substitute any number of creamy soups for this receipe - I recommend the cambells concentrated soups like Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Chicken, etc. - though the Cream of Corn I used last night was not concentrated (but I did use less so it didn't turn my pie into soup!).

To save on fat and calories use the reduced fat healthy choice brand - you really won't notice the difference in taste, and you will get less sodium and fat in your meal! I also use reduced fat Pillsbury biscuits for the crust - same deal here as with the soups...

OK, here it goes:

Easy Chicken Pot Pie:
2 large cans of chicken (you can get these cans from Costco- they are big cans of chicken breast - looks like canned Tuna).

1 Can Cream Of Mushroom condensed soup (or substitute)

1 small can of sliced mushrooms (optional - I only use if I use cream of mushroom soup)

1 Package Pilsbury biscuit dough (use any kind, it doesn't matter)

Few oz of Shredded Cheddar cheese (I use Kraft 2% Reduced Fat - optional again)

1 package frozen mixed vegtables

Salt, pepper, Paprika and cumin to taste

Steps:

1) Preheat oven to 375.
2) Put chicken in a medium size baking dish.
3) add vegtables
4) add soup
5) I add a sprinkle of salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin now.
6) mix together
7) Press down into pan evenly
8) Add Cheese evenly to top
7) Add crust - I like to take half of the dough and roll it out a little to make a nice flat square, then lay it over the top of the chicken mix. You can also lay full bicuits on top evenly without rolling them out. The bottom of these will not be fully cooked, so if you don't like yours a little doughy I would bake them separately on the side, then place them on top near the end.
8) Place in oven for 20 mins or until crust is golden and done.

For a tastier meal use two chicken breasts in lieu of the canned chicken. I like to pan boil my chicken in an inch or two of either water or chicken broth (better), with some dry white wine (optional), and some pepper and a bayleaf - for about 10 mins, flipping once. Shred chicken before using.

To make a nice golden crust, take one egg and mix it up, then use a brush and brush it over the crust!

If you use full biscuits as the crust you can also stuff them with the cheese instead- making them nice to bite into!

Thats it! Cheap, easy, and will feed two people for at least 2 dinners if not 3!

------------------------------------------
Low fat Tuna Sandwiches:

I also love Tuna sandwiches, but using real mayo in them can really turn them into a heart clogging meal - not bad once in a while, but if you eat them too often you will start to show it!

Instead I just use a fat free mayo substitute (which don't tast that bad, trust me)!

I then add relish, some pepper, and sometimes some lemon juice and hot cayanne pepper.

Add a slice of American Cheese, put on some toast- and you have a very healthy and very good Tunafish Sandwich!


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home